Folks,

Fittop: 🤔

I had to think about it for 2 whole seconds. I have watched several good movies on Amazon. The Jack Reacher movies were really good. One I had to rent the other was free. I rented "Made in America" somewhere else though. I liked "The Lost City of "Z" " and that was free. I do not know if everyone's rate is going up.

Maybe the PRIME cost went up just for the ones that actually save money every month? To do that, it seems to me a lot of product must be shipped. That may mean no profit is made on shipping but there certainly is a good markup on the products shipped. Everyone is finding and looking for new ways of maximizing profits. Why not? Profit is a good thing, right? Well, I wish software could still be bought and not just rented. You pay more than the software is worth to you sooner or later. Especially if new version upgrades cause your rate to go up.

Adobe has gotten in a bit of trouble with photographers who do NOT want to upgrade their old Lightroom to the new Lightroom CC that is a dumbed down version of the old one. They don't want to upgrade to the familiar Classic Lightroom either because that probably will be discontinued as so many "classic" things (like you and I, Dux) usually are. That is denied by Adobe. Once was the time Adobe seemed to care a great deal about what their customers wanted and did not want.

These days, like Microsoft and others, Adobe seem to think they are so big now that what is best for their profit margin is what is best for all their customers. Kinda like that old thing about General Motors strategy. And they give us what they want without even asking if it is what we want. Adobe seems to have caught on they got it a bit wrong this time. At least they are finally requesting consumer feedback.

It seems to me in our new world of instant messaging and social media it is very risky to alienate customers. Word spreads faster if customers are angry and faster then ever online. I bet Adobe's competition loves them for their risky business model. So that is precisely what I told them when they asked my opinion.

I subscribed to Consumer Reports just last month. Unfortunately, quite a few items I want to buy have no review at this time. I have always liked CR since they used to have a program on TV years ago. There have been many CR reviews of products available free online as well.

There are a lot of 'smart' electronics available today that promise to enhance our lives. But I wonder if we aren't blinded by the hype and photos of families and other happy consumers and ignoring what data is being collected about us. Now not only our phones and our computers collect personal data but personal assistants brought right into our inner sanctums have that potential. They may be listening, watching collecting and phoning home from the last previously safe vantage point of our lives.

Anonymous data? OK. It really doesn't matter if they use our name if they are building an algorithm from all that data of collected averages. When that algorithm is put to use (for god knows what innocuous or dangerous purpose, it will also include us in its effect, right? Are there going to be compelling ads we cannot resist in our future? What will the government use that info for? Congress has long forgot government by the people for the people. Well it seems to have as it is shutting down unless "by and for the people" only means the government.

DISCLAIMER:
These are just my silly opinions, ramblings really. Ask yourself now, if you haven't many times already, what do I know about anything anyway? No one pay any attention the that old guy behind the curtain. Please.

BTW. Where is Gorge Orwell when we so desperately need another book? I haven't seen much from him since 1984; have you? winkngrin

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019