Folks,

Dux:

Ummmm. That would be the so-called "Rude Man of Cerne" I suppose. Olga visits there? Really? It is, I understand, an ancient but in modern times well maintained monument. I further understand that to this very day barren, but hopeful, young women sit 'knickers off' upon this chalk effigy in hopes that they will conceive. Shouldn't someone kind show these misguided lasses what usually works for most people? I'm not so sure that just sitting there will work however I am reasonably certain that if someone ever discovers that small camera buried there by more modern and rather voyeuristic Druids, there may be hell to pay....

I am pleased to tell you that I have finally managed to get Flying Corps Gold to run. I removed all vestiges of the original install and reinstalled from the CD. Please correct me Dux or Jens if I am incorrect, but FCG did not require patching did it? I cannot remember. I know that I had to replace the smack32w.dll and I have done that.

Anyway, I was finally able to enter the preferences tab where you set your graphics. Unfortunately when I tried to choose direct3D the game crashed hard and I had to reboot. If I use the default Rowan Driver I find that I can play the game in 640x480 for a short while and then the game freezes and I have to hit esc or enter to get out by a swift ctd. After that crash I cannot reload the game without a reboot.

I may try to run FCG again without my virus protection (AVG) running in the background. That uses a lot of memory. Any other suggestions or hints mates? I wonder if old Dave Whiteside is still kicking about at the other end of his old e-mail address? Dave had much to do with developing FCG and he would know what to do.

FCG was much better than the first Red Barron and I never did try Red Barron 3D. I wonder if that might run if I can find a copy of RB3D somewhere? It is probably abandonware by now?

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019