Folks,

Dux:

Yup, lucky us, we have blue jays flitting about all the time around here. So they must be somewhat rare in Britain judging by your blue faced excitement? I'll see if I can get a snap of one diddling around in the garden to send you. I heard one calling just this afternoon. We even have an old saying regarding jays to describe all things human that are done sans clothing, such as skinny dipping. That would be "As nekked as a jay bird." Yes, you really must pronounce 'naked' 'nekked' to get it right.

I can only wonder what you'd do if I caged and sent you a scarlet plumed male Cardinal. I have one roosting near here that for the past 2 summers almost always follows me on my walks. Often I hear his distinctive chirp a good bit before he lets me see him. There are several darker fledged females around as well. That particular brand of critter is so prolific around here it is our state bird.

Yesterday I watched our resident Red Tailed hawk very high up gliding in broad circles against a beautiful blue sky. He was probably riding the early morning thermals as he seldom bothered to flap a wing. We've been seeing him for several years. I have one of his feathers. Two years ago he had a smaller, lighter colored consort but she's gone missing.

Last summer there was reported to be a mating pair of bald eagles not more than 10 miles from here. By the time we heard about them and went out there to the nest the nest was empty and they were gone. We did see the huge nest.

OK, we've mentioned the Blue Jay, Cardinal, Hawk, and Bald Eagle, add to that the Sparrow, Robin, crow and Starling and I'm ashamed to admit you have my entire repertoire. Alright I also know a chicken and duck when I see them. I get them confused on dry land now and then but put them in the water and I can spot the drowning chicken every time. ;\)

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019