Folks,

Dux:

That sounds interesting. What new facts have you uncovered? This is a prolific author, I believe I have read one of his books titled "Hitler's Navy". I've seen the book you mention but for some reason I passed it by as being too esoteric for the likes of moi. I'll take another look at it.

No one should care what I think of course, however I have always felt that Hitler, unlike his Admirals Donitz and Raeder, never really understood naval warfare or had a proper appreciation of his navy or how best to use it. After early successes, there are some who might even argue the same thing about his understanding of the German air force and army.

After Jutland the German navy seemed to have an inferiority complex. It more or less remained in port chipped paint and watched out for..er.. its um...brass until the end of the Great War. Other than the U boat menace which greatly troubled Churchill and increased his consumption of (medicinal) brandy no doubt, plus the terrible nuisance made by the Bismark and those pesky but deadly German pocket battleships, the German navy sorta did all it could just not to disgrace the Fatherland by losing its ships. Ala the Graf Spee which I believe was scuttled at Montevideo, Uruguay.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019