Folks,

Dux:

Most Americans call them Scotch as well and I suppose that is derived from the popular refreshment that we in the colonies have come to love in one or more of its various incarnations. I have become sensitive to the semantics only in the last decade. Some years ago I was sternly corrected by a kilt wearing gentleman of advanced years who stuck a gnarled, twisty old cane in my questioning face and, with a thick Scottish accent, demanded an abject apology for the same offense.

Even though the Scots have gained their 'freedom', I am sure that there is still plenty of rivalry between them and England and that this surely must come forth in football and other sports. I suppose it is healthy.... at least for the survivors.

For some reason I thought that the "Duchess" was seen by you in Wales. Obviously I was completely mistaken. Hmmmmm. Someone in the background reading over my shoulder churlishly reminds me that this is not the first time. You are fortunate to have her so close. I believe those beautiful crowns were a recent addition to the nameplate.

Railroads and locomotives have long been an important part of our heritage. Our town is built next to the Tar River and with that as a power source it prospered around the 2nd oldest cotton mill in the state. The railroad came through to carry away cotton and tobacco. Our home town was once the location for the railroad shops of the Atlantic Coastline RR. In fact the tracks go right down the middle of the downtown area and divides not only the city but the county. The eastern side is Edgecombe County (a good English name) and the Western Nash County. About mid way the last century the RR shops were moved to Waycross Ga. I can just remember the steam locomotives puffing past when I was a boy. Many here worked for the RR and it was tough when the shops moved. However the primary source of income was agricultural primarily tobacco and not industry. The loss was overcome and the far greater economic shock of tobaccos downfall was still decades away.

I still get a thrill when I see a steam engine puffing along, even on TV. There are a few museums around the state, some actually rolling, where one can visit or even ride on an old engine or two that are restored to pristine condition. The deceased editor of the local paper who was a friend of mine had a fully restored bright red ACL caboose placed on his riverside property. It was fitted out with beds, a stove and the works. The local scout troops had full access and took advantage of that often for fishing trips, weenie roasts and the like.

So you think it was named for the first Duchess then? I'm surprised at that.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019