Folks,

Donnybrooke:

"They also serve who only stand and wait".

What a pleasant interlude you have offered us. I enjoyed the read and I will see if I can find the book at our library. Thank you so much for sharing and for posting. Please do so often. Do you have other books to recommend?

"I went all gooseflesh for a minute and my hair stood up on my head like
the fretful porcupine's."

I loved that sentence because I have had that very same feeling once or twice in my life without the proper words to express it so well.

Here is a "for instance". On a day way back in the late sixties, my teenage neck fur stiffly bristled when the boyfriend of the girl I happened to be kissing rudely tapped me on the shoulder.

I had the same experience a bit later. I felt the sensation of several thousand pointy little quills earnestly rubbing against the back of my scrunchey, damp collar. They were warning me to duck when several poorly aimed bullets twfutt twfutted by my instantly attentive young ears.

Speaking of the "home front", I am proud to have been part of a project several years ago that celebrated just that during the National Fiftieth Anniversary of WW2 celebration.

We helped get a large number of retailers to display military uniforms, scenes depicting war on the home front and artifacts of the era in their brightly lit show windows.

You see, I found that I had a retired US Air Force S/Sgt. working for us who had a museum-like collection of literally hundreds of mint quality military uniforms from every branch of service. He had mannequins to wear them too. Was his wife ever happy to get them all out of the house? She was ecstatic.

This fellow is simply amazing. I think he should consider a traveling patriotic exhibit. This exhibit would go 'round the country from town to town and from mall to mall. He's not interested so far.

You know those silk maps aviators were given? Silk wouldn't be affected by water like paper would and it was easier to store or hide. Well, this fellow has several authentic maps in perfect condition. I believe these are fairly rare.

I am also proud to say that we received a framed commendation from both the DOD and the DAR for our efforts. The award was appreciated but the real payback was that I learned a lot about WW2 and particularly about the war at home as well.

I also perhaps saved the marriage of that poor sod whose wife was so tired of living in a house stuffed full of mannequins dressed in all manner of uniforms.

------------------
"Blessed are they who expect nothing.
For they will not be disappointed." - Edmund Qwenn, "The Trouble with Harry"