Folks,

Dux:

She's a beauty. I'm no Petrol-Head myself and not sure of the make. My knowledge of cars pretty much picks up in the very late forties. In the fifties every American boy could tell you the make and model of an American car almost by the sound of its engine. Back then every year the new models completely changed their body styles. It was expected that you'd keep up. We all looked forward to the unveiling of the new models. We'd rank them as to which we thought was best.

That chrome grill is distinctive and streamlined. It seems like a Chrysler Air Flow type. Is that hood ornament a train or a stylized eagle? It looks like an eagle to me. This may not be an American built car? A Pontiac would have an Indian chief hood ornament (referring to the great Indian Chief by that name). That might come in many styles (and this might be one.) A Buick might have several chrome exhaust holes on either side of the engine compartment, at least in later models. A Ford would have that distinctive blue oval medallion with Ford emblazoned on it. And some Ford after market hood ornament might be similar to eagles or trains.

In the fifties Oldsmobile had a sleek rocket hood ornament. The Desoto had a streamlined locomotive hood ornament from 1938 through 1941. At one point on some models it also had a stylized winged lady chrome hood ornament. Ditto Cadillac. The Nash had a prone naked lady in chrome with streaming hair for time. Mercury would have the winged heeled god as an ornament. Chevys had a sleek elongated bullet-like ornament for a time. Chrysler had an eagle ornament but most had wings. Plymouths all had distinctive Mayflower ship ornaments in the fifties.

If a B-B gun were placed at my head and I was forced to guess I'd probably say it might be a 1934 Chrysler Airflow car but that is just a guess. Note the suicide doors.

Let us hope that the Petrol-Head Jens can shed some light.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019