Folks,

Dux:

Fat Hermann (otherwise AKA Myer) tried hard but could not make good on his optimistic promise to Hitler. That being to destroy the RAF, thus losing favor with both his troops and his Fuhrer in the bargain.

Two Lancs in pieces you say? One would indeed be hard pressed to build much of even one aircraft out of that pitiful lot.

MG:

Correct, Hitler had nothing on the order of our LSTs or other landing craft or troop transports much less those floating harbors that came in so handy off the storm tossed shores or Normandy.

No one should especially care however I have just begun to re-read the saga of Beowulf which, as everyone knows, is the oldest surviving epic in the English language. I believe that it was created around the tenth century. Dux was just a baby back then so even our most ancient member cannot confirm this. wink

My version attributes the original tale rather broadly to Scandinavia. To be more specific, I seem to remember from my own school days (which admittedly were much closer to the tenth century than is today) that Beowulf was from an original Danish tale. Is this so MG?

We will pause while our Danish friend ponders the question and perhaps rushes to his local library to search for an unknown copy of Beowulf in the original Danish, this done just to see if one of his own distant heroic relatives may be credited with composing the ancient epic. I for one would not be at all surprised if this were so.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019