All,

Sir JR2, that was a fine story. It dealt with a part of the battle not talked about as much. As I read I imagined the farmer having to go to the authorities to get reimbursed for the horses. Then I thought, hell they may not have been able to make such a claim and were just simply out in the cold to deal with damaged property or loss of livestock or worse on their own.

Anyone know what did happen when a private citizen had such a loss?

Watched the Civil War again last night. 1864. A real bad year for the Confederacy. Failing to win British or french assistance the south began to run out of steam, not to mention men. Grants campaign to Petersburg was the prelude to modern warfare. Daily combat, continued engagement with the enemy. Up till then most fights were "bloody but brief" and said in the film.

While it doesent get the credit for being so, the defining moment in this country may actually have been the fact that we carried out a fair and free election in the middle of a civil war.

That my fiends defines what America is.

I had really forgotten how wonderful the film was. Got me totally hooked again. Tonight, the end of the struggle.

I hear ya Sir JR2, quit watching tv and turn in a story. Soon I promise though you may be sorry you prodded.

TALLY HO!