Gents,

Mixed results over the last two scrambles. The sky was stiff with one-o-nines as we blundered into one formation after the other. I lost my two pals after flying through one formation of jerry 'bombers' and only had time for a quick squirt at a one-o-nine without result. With enough speed to get me out of trouble, a determined escape to the northeast was the best plan until being vectored onto another formation of fighters. They hadn't seen me but pursuit from below was a laborious task as they went on a sight-seeing tour of Greater London; first to the west and down and round the southern environs. It became increasingly obvious that I was making little progess as they flew through ack-ack southeast of London.

A single aircraft appeared flying north so I decide on this option with the advantage of height. Closing in revealed a Do17 sailing sublimely along at 12000 feet in broad daylight over the world's hottest concentration of defending and offending fighters.
There could only ever be one result, and sure enough, he was soon spiralling down while shedding parachutes until absolute confirmation was underlined by a massive explosion as he struck the ground.

The next scramble saw all of 310 Squadron committed on a day when large concentrations of bombers ranged from Plymouth to Essex. Whole formations were decimated by about ten squadrons in exchange for several airfields being put out of action or severely damaged. We of 310 lost four Hurricanes but I de-winged two He111s. Another day of such losses and we will have to re-equip and rest up at Wittering.

The campaign still shows a good stock of fighter replacements but re-equipping Lympne, Manston and Hawkinge provides a forward line which cannot be sustained and they have to be therefore written off in favour of stocking the northerly bases. Small groups of Ju88s are the most difficult to intercept and cause the most damage for the numbers committed.

Tonight we can grab some restful diversion in the camp cinema where a group of Russian Cossack dancers will be putting on a goodwill display supported by an alleged sabre swallowing beauty; Comrade Olga of Minsk. Some of HWH Squadron made emergency landings here today but prefer to leave early for their home base and forego our station's hospitality. So typical of the spirit within Fighter Command - to put the efficiency of their squadron above all personal pleasure - a shining example to all.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------