Folks,

HB:

Yes the loss of a beloved pet is neither the end of the world nor is it trivial. How much more poignant it must be to have a loved one of many years put to sleep. From my recent experience I suppose that if the pet passes away calmly without suffering in the arms of someone who loves them it is somewhat comforting for both.

Although it sometimes seems that one is completely alone at times of such loss one must realize that so many others across the world have gotten through the same painful experience. Thank you for thoughtfully sharing your feelings.

We have seven cats at the moment and one Belgian Shepherd dog. All save one of our cats are common American short hairs but each has his or her own personality and each has become a member of our extended family. Very soon most of the four kittens will be going to new homes. I will miss them even more after the loss of our ferret.

We have a Burmese cat who has lived in the house with us for years. The Siamese cat is a wonderful breed. I have always been partial to it but for some reason I have never owned such a cat. Years ago I had a girl friend whose wealthy family was adopted by two gorgeous pure-bred Siamese kittens. They were doted upon and ruled the house from sun up to sun down. I noticed that, unlike most cats of my experience, they meowed quite a bit and loudly. Indoor cats, they lived in feline luxury for many happy years. Whether they were good mousers I do not know. A common house mouse would have been an unlikely and most un-welcome guest in that spotless mansion.

Our cats catch bugs, shrews and birds. I have not seen one of them with a field mouse as yet. It is only a matter of time I suppose. Of coarse with so many cats around I expect any marginally intelligent mice in the area have all packed their little suitcases and hit the road for greener pastures. ;\)

I too enjoy naval movies, as by all accounts so do most of the others posting here. "Das Boot" in the directors cut version is a favorite of mine and others. And the much, much older British ship of the line tale "Damn the Defiant" is much liked by me. I therefore look forward with great anticipation to watching the DVD version of "Master and Commander".

Thank you again for your comment and for becoming a regular visitor here. \:\)

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019