Folks,

MG:

That is one of Clarke's collection of the written word I have not read. I also doubt the IBM reps were waiting, twiddling their thumbs for any length of time, even if a genius, self taught Fortran prodigy was available for help. Granted, it was early days, but surely the IBM techs were adequately trained before being sent out for this very high priority and, likely top, top secret of tasks.

Perhaps it was merely a literary ploy to advance the plot and provide a happy moment for us viewers. Hollywood isn't always the best arbiter of history. I loved the movie.

I kid you not, when I worked for a newspaper, there was a cool room for a large bank of machines and computers. When there was a problem that stumped the in house rep. a company rep. was called in. He came all the way cross country first class at some expense.

He was a nice fellow, obviously well trained. It took him only a minute to find the power plug had somehow worked itself partly out. He pushed it back in and all the machines became animated again.

Our tech was greatly embarrassed. Even when the publisher told him he should not be. Yes, it took only a minute for the repair. The factory rep was paid, he said, for what he knew had to be done and not for how long the job actually took.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019