Folks,

Here is something that I wrote several years ago. It is a tad OT but I think it will fit right in here. I have been tempted to post it for some time but two things prevented my doing so. First, I am a coward and I was hesitant to let everyone see just how little my writing has improved with time and secondly, I was not exactly sure where to find the danged thing. All objections have now been overcome. I realized that no one here really cares about the former and since I was going down into the archives to hunt for another Olga Saga anyway I might as well dig it out as well.

Attack from the Air
By: JRT
HWH Cont. Page 6
2/28/02

Attack from the Air

It was a mid-summer's evening and a breathless quiet settled upon our peaceful land as the sun lingered briefly upon the treelined horizon and then slowly set.

There became noticeable to all a distant droning, a high pitched whine coming from no fixed position. Our enemy, without warning and without allowing time for us to utter even a simple cry of alarm was now high above us. Even our most minimal defenses could not be mustered before the fiendish attackers came down and struck us hard.

On they came through the air in bloodthirsty, dark battalions. The attack seemed to come from every direction at once. No one was spared from the enemy’s unholy wrath. They struck men, women and children. The uncaring enemy struck farm animals and even our innocent pets.

In the battle that had now begun, no quarter was asked, expected or offered by either side. Hundreds fell. The life crushed from their bodies, their corpses littered the battlefield. For every enemy who fell that night a hundred more took their places in a blind determination and a fiendish desire for blood so powerful, fanatical and perverse that one was awestruck just to behold it.

By now, every one of our troops was bravely carrying multiple wounds. In the dim light, scarred faces were showing the true agony of battle as fear walked amongst us like a wild beast come to torment even the bravest of souls. We were losing the battle, and we all knew it. Finally, in utter despair and desperation, we realized our only hope lay in the immediate use of chemical warfare. So, in a desperate, last ditch effort to snatch survival from the snapping jaws of pain and disfigurement the indiscriminant spraying began.

As the noxious clouds of gas billowed forth the enemy hordes wavered and quickly fell back. At last they were in full retreat. We gleefully charged the remaining stragglers attacking them with a wrath that actually surprised us as we struck them down without the slightest pity. After what seemed like hours of life and death struggle, we overcame and destroyed their last few resisting elements.

We licked our wounds and rejoiced at our deliverance. Shortly, many began celebrating our great victory. The enemy dead lay in countless hundreds all around us. Just then, as we roundly congratulated ourselves, all our celebrating was instantly and irreverently hushed. All rejoicing ceased as abruptly as if a flickering candle flame were extinguished by sudden and profound gust of wind. For as we strained our ears we heard a soft droning in the distance. A high pitched whine coming from no particular direction….

More mosquitoes were on the way.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019