Folks,

Dux:

May Day is still being observed in Derbyshire? Wait, of course it is, this is virtual 1940, what am I thinking? Uncle Joe is our valued ally. I wouldn't say no to a drop of honey-like mead myself...but not that fearful smelling swill that Olga concocts in her cauldron out of grain alcohol, boiled gym socks, jock straps and mandrake root. I'll pass rather than pass out on that. Does she still stir that mess with a well-used plumber's friend?

Actually I can clearly remember a time when May Day was celebrated here in the southern states. As a very young lad I wore a lovely costume sewn by my maternal grandmother and I, along with many others my age, cavorted around a very tall May Pole in front of a large crowd of folks. What a sight that must have been. It was a part of a rather large annual pageant held by that school on the first day of May.

There was a big stage covered with grass-like mats set up on the spacious playground. There were huge loud speakers hung on tall poles so the crowd could enjoy the music and hear the speeches. The miles of wire and cable coiled about under the stage sent showers of sparks into the nether portions of those above from time to time. It is not known if this was planned as part of the show or not. It certainly added to my enjoyment. The Governor and Mayor were there.

There were bleachers erected for the minor dignitaries, faculty and our parents. I believe I was in second grade that year. I was somehow chosen to hold one of the international flags in the pageant. And I was very proud of this for some odd reason. I mainly recall standing in that field under a blistering sun holding my flag and dancing a little gig. Although a lot of the sun-burnt skin would eventually slough off the top of my crew-cut head, I remember it as a mostly rewarding, and unusual, but very hot day. The chocolate bar I had forgotten was in my pocket melted and made a rather suspicious, brown stain on the back of my pants. The other kids seemed to think that humorous. I did not. That was the area facing the audience and I could hear snickers.

That auspicious event turned out to be the last such celebration held. This was due, for the most part, to the onset of the cold war. Not until the visit of Emperor Hailee Solace two years later would we students be called upon to perform out of doors. All we had to do in that instance was line our street behind the school and wave the flags of Ethiopia and the US as the emporer's motorcade passed by. This was a big deal for our small southern town of much less than 50,000 people. It seems he was especially interested in touring our cotton mill. The one Sherman burned to the ground at the end of the un-Civil war. It was as big a deal then as it was when Presidents Truman and Johnson paid us visits.

As I recall it was an amazingly hot day in NC on that particular May 1st. Tomorrow will be no exception. Today and tomorrow are expected to be record breakers. We expect temps up near or exceeding 35 C. or 95 F. That is July weather around here but mercifully we will not have the humidity of July to contend with.

Indeed brother Stickman, who comprises the entire membership of our Hawaiian branch, has been missing for some time from our happy group. I should send him an e-mail inviting his immediate return to us. Next time I venture down those 3,000 crumbling steps into the archives I will look for something written by him. I'm sure he has written a few stories.

The brave C51 says he has finished the welding on that iron grate so it should be a good time for us to start that inventory. Hey, where did everybody go?

Lord, I do hope Olga was caught outside when he did that. Of course if she was, she'll probably just gnaw her way back in by midnight. And C51 will have to weld it again.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019