G'day JRT, Old Dux,

belayed congratulations on the latest ticks Old Dux, three fine specimens. The thought of seeing a Diver - Loon to us - at this time of year seems particularly strange, although there are probably some out in Lake Ontario somewhere. I have heard of them staying so late on the northern lakes that a quick freeze made it impossible to get airborne since they need a good stretch of open water. They are not a STAL species like the puddle ducks. Sadly, avian botulism perpetuated by invasive zebra mussels is killing off large numbers of Loons and Mergansers every autumn. They are brought here from Europe in the ballast of ships which is dumped peiodically into the lake.

JRT gave me a smashing idea Old Dux - why don't you plan a trip over here, and I can arrange to take you to Point Pelee, Algonquin and numerous other spots for a few New World Species. JRT can come along too and we could get up to all kinds of damage. And good luck on the Scottish adventure. You might even see some birds.

JRT, are you sure about that notion of the Scots having good whiskey? I was not aware of that. I thought they only produced the misspelled whisky, possibly a recipe stolen from or donated by the Irish. Legend has it that God allowed the Irish to invent whiskey to keep them from taking over the world. In North America we have the education process for the same purpose. JRT, if you go to Scotand in May to go birding with Old Dux, be aware that there may be surprises under some of those kilts. i.e. "Donald, Where's Your Trousers?"

"you know you've done a wheels up landing when it takes full power to taxi."