JRT,

You know more about Buxton than I do! I have indeed partaken of the warm spa waters (which stay at a constant temperature) on many occasions and visited the baths regularly as a youth but I doubt whether all the volume of water I have both swallowed or bathed in would equal the alcoholic libations which I have consumed. ;\)

The nearby town of Ashbourne has a custom which engages hundreds of Ashburnian 'footballers' who kick a ball around the town and adjacent countryside at Shrovetide. Visitors wishing to observe this spectacle are strongly advised to stand well aside...

Derbyshire is steeped in many customs but the ones that include a copious supply of ale are they that are most strongly favoured and partaken of. This is exemplified by the Grand Procession which will pass hordes of pre-pubic teenagers wallowing about in pools of their own vomit. Others shout incoherent obscenities at the passing Queen of the Wells Dressing like 'gerremoff', 'cop hold of this darlin', 'come over here if you want a real ride', etc., etc., - and that's just the pensioners...

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------