Dux:
Congratulations on good weather and a worthy effort.

As you must surely realize by now, I do not know much about birds, or anything else for that matter. I can pick out the odd chicken, duck and goose under good lighting conditions and if a pint is at stake, I might even recognize a barn owl.

I have never seen a Hoopoe. I think they are not indigenous to the USA. I do seem to remember that they are high flyers and, according to the 900,000 page Policy, Standards, practices and General Information HWH Handbook, second un-abridged standard edition in 78 leather bound volumes, they have been recorded to 21,000 feet in the Himalayas. Why anyone would follow them up there to make a note of it is beyond me.

Your word painting of Wales was a delight to read. Knowing how talented you are I'd expect that you could manage a cracking good painting of that region. Do you carry your camera and sketch book on your trips? I understand that Charles... as in 'Wales, Prince of ', has done a bit of painting. Perhaps he has already captured that particular part of the world for posterior...umm, I mean for posterity? If not , you should do the honors. You know what they say at the Palace, 'Carpet De Ham'. OK, better make that 'Carpe Diam' Old Chum.

C51 managed a note yesterday morning. I was far too busy holding my drawers on the clothes line during that frightful wind event yesterday to check my mail. I did not therefore read it until this morning. He says he has been inspired (by the several feet of new fallen snow perhaps) and has finished a new painting. I do not know the subject of this masterful canvas however he plans to photograph or scan it very soon. He'll send it to me then. I cannot wait to see it. If it turns out to be just another Polar bear in a snowstorm (pristine white on white canvas) I fear that I will not be able to hide my disappointment this time. Have you ever seen the brilliant work he is capable of, particularly his birds? I'm sure that you have.

The wife is feeling a bit better these days. I hope to be able to drop in more often. I must go for now, it will soon be dark and there is still quite a bit of my laundry to be retrieved from the higher branches of our little grove of trees. ;\)

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019