Folks,

Dux:

As an officer and a gentleman myself I realize that this painful disclosure must ease your conscious somewhat. Not that you could have done much to save those lads had you tried harder. The picture of a monkey impotently chattering away at a Bengal tiger springs to my cluttered mind. The big cat has singled out a hapless Sambar and will not be distracted....the warning will come too late. Tiger, tiger burning bright...

You did your best Old Sod. Were there survivors?

Would that well armed "taxi dancer" be old NX611 'Just Jane'? A lovely lady she is too. Perhaps she is a trifle immodest for an old lass standing there with her bay doors wide open. I wonder is the Canadian sister you mention perhaps the one C51 was helping to restore? That was not supposed to fly after restoration.

These yellow nosed rouges fresh over from France seem to be devilishly hard to hit in the new version of BoB. Yet on the odd day when I fly for the Fuhrer I seem to be getting my own gray tail feathers scorched on an all too regular basis.

I was not there myself mind you, but I have read that a single cannon shell from a 109 could absolutely ruin the day for any Hurricane pilot, yet I spray the things all about the sky as if they are going out of style and they never seem to cause so much as a two fingered salute from the boys with circles on their sides.

Back to the armorers we will go. I think my cannonen need bore sighting. OK there is the slight chance it might just be my fault. For one thing those Spitfires simply will not fly straight and level long enough. They tend to want to turn too sharply for me to follow and that completely ruins my aim! I may not be hitting anything but I do like the new gun sounds, don't you?

I've just now begun to re-read Peter Townsend's book "Time and Chance". I am at the most interesting part (to me anyway) where the BoB is about to start and he is flying a Hurricane. I had forgotten that he claims to have shot down the first enemy plane over English soil since WW1.

The story of his flight training in various aircraft was most interesting to me as well.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019