Folks,

Dux:

LOL. We are a bit short on moors over here however a Prairie Chicken could be in consideration if they swim well. A Grebe came to my mind but I think that Grebes have a longer neck. The neck on this bird was longer than that of a duck and kinda "S" curved. As far as we both can figure out (C51 and I) it was a Cormorant. He says double crested but I did not see the tell-tale feathery unevenness on the head.

I do not believe it is mating season and if it is, even though I had recently bathed and combed my hair, I did not sufficiently interest the bird for it to raise its crest, provided it had one. When he opened his wings they seemed set back as one would expect with a diving bird. The legs of this creature were far back on the torso as would be expected with a Cormorant. I'm thinking Brent's Cormorant but that seems to me to be a west coast bird. So far we have definitely ruled out ducks, chickens and of course turkeys.

Every day is a good day. Sadly we do not have the beautiful blue skies of yesterday. This morning it is chilly and overcast. If I get to take a stroll this morning I will bring the camera and hope to see that bird again. If it will pose then I, the novice, will be able to get a definitive answer from the experten, namely you or C51.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019