Folks,

Dux:

Looks like we have more seasonal weather on tap here for the weekend. Rain... frown

After I found my Sidewinder won't work with this more advanced computer, I went out and picked up a cheap Saitek ST290 USB stick just so I could at least experiment with my old games and see if BoB 2 would run on this box under XP with half the recommended video card ram... they didn't, it won't. The vid card ram requirement is 128MB and this card has 64. Actually BoB 2 ran fine until it switched into 3D. At this point I found myself sitting in my spiffy new Spitfire frozen in the sky. Fortunately the enemy was also frozen. Before I started to even shiver I tried all the usual panic key strokes Alt-X etc. Finally I had to ctrl-alt-delete to bail out. Shades of the original BoB days Dux.

Perhaps if I read up a bit on this forum I can find some help? I have not set the game to run in classic/compatible mode as I figure Shockwave's version came out after XP.

I also tried the old Flying Corps install one more time Jens. Perhaps it will run under XP I wondered....nope. I couldn't even get the thing to install at all. I kept getting an error message claiming there isn't enough room on the HDD. Well how much room does the darn thing need? I have 2 HDD and 7 GB left on one drive and about 20 GB on the other one.....! I give up!

Then I loaded MiG Alley. All went well once again until I got into the game and I found to my extreme discomfort there was no way to control the F-86. The joystick was recognized by both windows and the game but not recognized once game play had started! I uninstalled that one until later. There is a patch I have to locate and install and that may help.

Here is the incredible bit. For the heck of it I installed a very, very old (early 90's) version of Lotus Organizer that was still running on my old computer. And to my great surprise, it both installed off the 3 1/2 floppy and ran perfectly. Good code, eh... and no graphics?

We are almost into version 7 of windows and dealing with PCs is still a barrel of laughs, eh Dux?

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019