Folks,

Dux, P20:

Great pics.

You lot over there have the makings of some great holidays that are well within your grasp. We had so very few battles here in WW2. In truth, I cannot even think of one. Hmmmm. There were those pesky bomb laden balloons the Japanese sent over to burn down our timber supplies and the shelling of the West coast by that Japanese sub.... Oh well, I'll have to settle for "The Lost Colony", Jamestown, Yorktown, and Gettysburg. I seriously doubt any of those places will be likely to have an He-111 on display. Of course there is that nice Air and Space museum in Washington, DC, they may have one? That isn't so far away.

The Spanish air force used to be able to muster a bunch of those bombers? Isn't that where they got those used in the BoB movie? As for paella, isn't all that seafood and stuff rather fattening? OK, that does rather smack a bit of sour grapes at that. I will desperately try to curb my envy.

Thank you P20 for another link to an interesting article. I had heard of Horcher's of course however I was not aware that it has survived until today. The food must be incredible, eh? For some reason we southerners think that we invented fried chicken. I do not know why. As for the favorite Austrian dish of Herr Goering, I have never tasted the Viennese variety of fried chicken. Perhaps it is a recipe from southern Vienna? I have Googled that recipe up and I'll have a go at it one day.* From the looks of Fat Hermann in his Karin hall days, he must have eaten quite a lot of it. Or on second thought, the extra girth might have come from the loss of a certain part of his anatomy when he took a direct hit in the family jewels during the Beer Hall Putsch. Ouch!

The additional article is also quite interesting. Since Hitler is known to have been a strict vegetarian, Hermann's hedonistic persuasions were quite a contrast to that of the Fuhrer and yet in spite of those pesky bombs falling on Berlin every night, they remained real pals ... well, they were up until the last few days, that is. Surprisingly meals at Berchtesgarten did not reflect Adolph's aversion to eating meat. Guests were free to eat anything they liked, although, due to shortages or Hitler's desire to 'suffer' along with the German masses, so-called "one pot dinners' eventually became the rigor.

Viennese Fried Chicken
Courtesy of Wolfgang Puck

2 pounds chicken breasts and thighs, boneless and skinless
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Oil, for deep-frying
2 cups flour
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups bread crumbs or ground panko
Lemon juice
Rosemary sprigs, about 6 inches long, remove leaves from the lower half of the stem
Lemon Rosemary Butter Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
Lemon wedges

Cut the chicken into 2-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper.
Preheat a deep pot of oil or a deep fryer to 365 degrees F.
Bread the chicken pieces by first dredging in flour, then dipping in eggs, and lastly, rolling in bread crumbs or panko. Deep-fry in oil until done and golden in color. Drain off excess oil. Season with salt and squeeze fresh lemon juice.
Skewer each piece in a rosemary sprig. Arrange in a serving platter, serve with Lemon Rosemary Butter Dipping Sauce, and garnish with lemon wedges.

Lemon Rosemary Butter Dipping Sauce:
4 ounces clarified butter
1 sprig rosemary
1 lemon, juiced

In a small saucepan, heat the butter and rosemary just until warm. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Strain into a sauce bowl. Stir in lemon juice.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019