Folks,

C51-Dux:

LOLFOFLMAO!

All this talk about birds, boobies and beavers (in the English slang sense of the words)is getting me excited. It may surprise you to know that, in spite of those Austin Powers movies, baby, the term shag has an entirely different meaning here. Here in the Carolinas 'shag' refers to a particular type of dance that became popular in the sixties along our beaches.

In many respects it is a lively dance form much like the bop. It's own brand of music seemed to be required so several bands grew to local prominence playing what became known as "Beach Music". These were bands like 'The Embers' and 'The Hot Nuts' (I'm not kidding), The Chairmen of the Board, The Tams and the O'kasions. Large week-end dances became quite the thing along the coast back in the 60s. They are experiencing a revival of sorts today as grand children are being exposed to the fun.

If you have ever heard the popular song "I'm a girl watcher" that is a beach music song.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019