Folks,

Dux:

Having read up on my Robert Ruark and my Peter Capstick, not to mention my E. R. Buroughs, I can easily imagine what happened to that careless fellow who got put on the evening menu and probably got a poor lion shot for its trouble ridding the world of yet another dangerous idiot. We have the same sort over here. I can just about imagine that happy lion running home to tick off another birder on his own tally sheet. ;\)

Thanks to Mr. Disney (one of my personal heroes) and some others, just about everyone except the Tin Man, Scarecrow and Dorothy think lions and tigers and bears are just fluffy, friendly, fun loving, over anthropomorphised critters. 'Taint so! Killing is their nature. They are equipped with razor sharp teeth and claws and know from birth how to cut you into steaks in seconds. They will run you down, rip you up, eat you up, grind your bones and spit out the hair without so much as a by your leave.

There was a very interesting program on TV the other night about man-eaters and why they become killers of men. No, to my surprise, Olga was not even mentioned. This was all about lions. Especially those 2 pesky pussies who stopped the building of a railroad through Tsavo back in the 19th century. There are several books about those lions and I recommend them to you. The lions themselves, after hundreds of Chinese and Indian laborers were gobbled up and allow me to add, much against their will, have been shot, stuffed and are permanently on display at our Smithsonian museum. They still look hungry to me.

Putting my natural modesty aside, I'll take a whack at a dangerous squirrel, a blood thirsty dove, or a ravenous rabbit any day of the week, if I have backup, an automatic weapon and plenty of rounds. However, brave hunter that I am, one look down the business end of any large carnivore and I am likely to remember pressing business elsewhere, thank you very much.

A park warden once told us that he had watched with way too much satisfaction as a mother black bear destroyed a man's brand new Cadillac convertible to get her cub out of the trunk. (the hood is the bonnet. Sorry, what do you chaps call the trunk?)The idiot was trying to take the cub home to the kiddies.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019