Folks,

Pardon my ramblings, skip this if you like and please type something more cheery yourself. \:\)

For me it is a dreary, overcast day today. A cold north wind blows across eastern North Carolina twisting the crumbling shreds of leaves still hanging onto trembling branches.

As the old dog and I took our long walk over wet leaves, through the woods and down by the river this morning I couldn't help my mind drifting back to warmer days, sunnier days, days of spring and of summer. And then I thought of all the tomorrows ahead of me and of all those days already past that so many brave and patriotic men and women were by their supreme sacrifice denied. And I was ashamed for allowing just one cloudy day to depress me so.

I heard a distinctive chirp. Looking around I spied a bright red dot sitting there preening himself on a dripping evergreen branch. We were transfixed watching that little spot of scarlet. So bright was he against all the gray and gloom the dog and I stood for a long moment watching, listening. Suddenly, and without warning the Cardinal left its bouncing perch and flew deeper into the forest. Perhaps he had gone to brighten someone else's monotone day? We continued on our walk but somehow the world seemed a little brighter.

At least for me it did. You'll have to ask the dog what he thought about it. There is always at least a tiny spot of hope in every day if you just look for it. ;\)

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019