JRT,

Most English refer to Scots as Scotch. It helps reinforce the enmity that exists between us especially when England play Scotland on all too infrequent occasions. You can always rely on a good full-blooded game where the referee is kept busier than usual with red and yellow cards flying about like confetti and exhausted stretcher bearers gasping for air on the touchline.

Perhaps some Scots scowled in passing as they ventured to board her train but I'm sure their principals didn't go so far as to encourage them to complete the lengthy journey from London to Edinburgh on foot. This beauty currently resides at Ripley, Derbyshire and is often used for enthusiast trips, specials and the Royal Train as on June 11th 2002. On that occasion she carried the Royal Coat-of-Arms on the smokebox door.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the Ist Duchess had a framed portrait of Marie Antoinette hanging in the main hall to celebrate that oft quoted (disputed) remark - 'Let them eat cake'. I think those starving Scots would have been glad to - given the chance.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------