Folks,

I've been thinking. Startling news isn't it? This is something I do not do often or well. Anyhow I have been thinking about Sealion again. Hitler had some landing craft and he could have built more. I wonder if he were not thinking about invading from the air? The Gigant had been developed. It could carry a huge payload of men and matériel.

The Gigant started off as a glider. They tried a brace of 3 He111s to tow it into the air and even with their brand of JATO, that was less than perfect. The 3 bombers were uncoordinated and to the horror of the crew and passengers, they had great difficulty getting the behemoth into the air even long enough for everyone to finish their prayers. Finally, with a desperate Hermann breathing down their necks, they developed the He111-C. I think it was the C. I can rely upon Dux who is impolite enough to correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway these hybrid 111s were made by welding two regular 111s together by one wing and adding an extra engine. These were powerful and coordinated enough to do the heavy lifting. The Gigant was at last somewhat operational. Then some bright spark deep in the bowels of the air ministry had the unconventional idea that they should actually put engines on the Gigant and let it lift itself. They did and it could.

I wonder if Adolph planned to use the Gigants for the invasion or at least to deliver shock troops to England? Of course these whales of the air would have been sitting ducks for the Hurricanes and Spitfires. Surely the word eventually got out from those surviving JU87 crews about how little fun it was to float slowly along over the Channel while their tails were being chewed off by that rowdy bunch the RAF. The recruiters for Gigant duty must have had their work cut out for them.

Gigants were certainly used when Hitler turned his sights on Russia. They were vital in keeping his frozen armies supplied with electric blankets and pocket warmers, not to mention frozen dinners and ammo. Hmmmm. I guess they already had plenty of frozen dinners.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019