Folks,
Dux:

Don't hold back Sport, you paint too rosy a picture, now tell us how bad it REALLY is.... ;\)

A good job those poor dead boys of WW2 aren't here to see what they sacrificed all their tomorrows for, ain't it? I imagine they might raise an accusing eyebrow and point a bony finger in our direction. They might have some reason to be more than a tad disappointed in what our generation has made from their great sacrifice.

This is nothing new. It was probably the same in some ways for the Greeks and Romans and every other government of any civilization created by imperfect humans. In a democracy, the voters must shoulder the burden of what happens after the election of a big, fat dud. Perhaps we have also grown to expect too much from government? The problems of today are complex. Some require a wisdom well beyond that of Solomon in order to solve. Politics get in the way of statesmanship. When governments become deadlocked or uncaring and cannot, or will not meet the needs of the public, our confidence is lost and society may sink even further into the mire of apathy into virtual chaos. Such fear and miserable conditions often breed dictators.

A strong man (or it could be a woman today) comes goose-stepping into town with a pious look, a steely eye and big promises. If elected, they do get the trains running on schedule, clear the streets of crime and put everyone to work. This would be fine in and of itself if it were not bought at too steep a price. The price of our personal freedoms.

In time, the happy populace, wallowing there in their private little sties, wakes from their self-induced trance and suddenly recognizes the stinking mud and crap they are by now up to their necks in. Then things usually turn a tad sour for the dictatorship. To save themselves, the government may provide a convenient little war somewhere distant, just to keep the most militant of their constituents busy and off the barricades. A big battle keeps them out of town and gives them something destructive to do. An added bonus is that war also keeps the economy moving along. Trouble looms. That little bonfire, as we have seen in the past, can sometimes get a bit out of hand.

Things are far from perfect over here as well. You quoted Mr. Churchill. Churchill's famous dictum: "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." (from a House of Commons speech in 1947) springs to my crowded mind.

The timing of this famous remark is significant. Churchill (and a few other people) won the war, but in the election of 1945, he was defeated. I once thought the public showed gross ingratitude, but I am willing to accept the interpretation that Churchill was not the man to organize the peace.
When the news came out, Churchill was taking a bath (was there ever a statesman who spent more time in the bath?) He remarked "They have a perfect right to kick me out. That is democracy". When he was offered the Order of the Garter, he asked "Why should I accept the Order of the Garter, when the British people have just given me the Order of the Boot?".

He returned to power in 1951. The remark about democracy was made when he had lost power and had every reason to be bitter. Fortunately, he kept his sense of humor even in the most trying circumstances. He was imperfect of course, as are we all, however he did wear the hat of statesman often and his shadow looms large against the rough-and-tumble panorama that was the 20th century. He is one of my few political heroes.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019