SNAFU,

Many thanks for your congratulatory message.

JRT,

That e-mail has made our day! Always homourous and well constructed. Much appreciated by both of us. Thank you.

BTW: The 'A Small Crumpled Rectangle' was one of the best illustrations you have done.
I think they should be given a bigger showing. Probably, many people are not into stories and only occasionally visit HWH.
Instead of e-mailing just a select few with the appropriate illustration, how about a separate thread just to bring the attention of all to the next story with the accompanying picture.
Most may not be bothered with our stories, but at least they will see the artwork which they might otherwise have missed.

That splattering on the windscreen reminded me of a factual account in a book I read some time ago. Maybe someone who reads this can refresh my memory.

A night fighter pilot lost his wife and child in the blitz. From that moment on, he became possessed of a determination which resulted in applying himself to the destruction of the enemy with a ferocity and committment rarely seen and seemingly having lost all fear of death.
He returned from a victorious night sortie, and next day the blood and guts of the German crew were plainly there stuck to his aircraft for all to see.
He expressly forbade anyone to remove it and continued to fly with his plane in this condition. Nobody gave him an argument. It went on to say that such single minded determination could only end one way. Not long afterwards, this tragic figure died with his crewman when his Beaufighter exploded in the night sky shortly after take-off.

[This message has been edited by Old Dux (edited 07-25-2002).]

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------