Folks,

PV1:

Shadows modeled according to not only the positioning of the sun but correct as to longitude and latitude for the time of day and the date of the year! Incredible attention to detail. And, as always, genius is in the details.

I was not aware of that. Up to obtaining the game, the major difference that I was aware of was that you could fly the bombers. I have now flown and landed a JU88! I also knew that this was the only flight sim that modeled individual parts of larger objects and treated these parts as separate objects. When something explodes, there are individual textured pieces flying all about.

My experience is still limited. My copy is patched with the SDOE 150 patch. I don't know if there are any additional patches out there. I have not added any other upgrades or mods pending installing the WW1 add-on. I understand that this requires a clean, patched install of SDOE.

I think the stuttering has abated a bit thanks to my friend Jens' suggestion to add the line TextureCacheSize=116000000 to the INI, but I still have annoying temporary freeze-ups that I associate with certain sounds. I have yet to find any fix on-line or anything that I can add to the INI file to aid sound caching or otherwise stop these freezes when a plane or anything else explodes or when I first fire my guns. I tried changing sound channels = 16 to sound channels= 8 with no noticeable change whatsoever.

I have not yet, but Jens has added the following lines to his INI:

FarClip=15
FogNearClip=8

He cautions me that this can affect frame rates and must be tweaked for each system.

I realize that I have an older machine running under Win 98 SE but it is well above the published specs for this classic game and Jens says he thinks that these pauses may not be hardware related. Do you know of any suggestions or possible fixes? My searches have been fruitless so far. Perhaps you can help point me in the right direction?

Jens is running the WW1 add-on exclusively and that may turn out to be what I do as well particularly so if it takes less HHD space and, more importantly, if it might run a bit smoother. As the add-on uses the same engine as SDOE that is certainly doubtful.

Any suggestions from anyone...well, other than 'bugger all, just forget it', will be much appreciated. ;\)

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019