Folks,

P2 and Dux:

Typing to you as a less than proud citizen of the largest North American Banana Republic, it is with no sense of accomplishment that I give you the following statistics according to my own faltering knowledge and gleaned from the pages of The 900,000 page HWH Handbook, 2nd un-abridged edition in 87 leather-bound volumes. You got it in one Dux, Lincoln was indeed the first.

Presidents killed by the incompetence of their doctors:
George Washington - bled to death by his doctors as treatment for "inflammatory quinsy"
James Garfield - whose doctors contaminated his bullet wound so that he died of infection.

Assassinated presidents:
Abraham Lincoln - assassinated by John Wilkes Booth
James Garfield - assassinated by Charles J. Guiteau
William McKinley - assassinated by Leon F. Czolgosz
John Kennedy - assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald

Presidents who suffered attempted assassinations:
Andrew Jackson - would-be assassin: Richard Lawrence (both derringers misfired)
Harry Truman - Oscar Collazo and Griselio Torresola attempted to storm Blair House, residence of Truman
Gerald Ford - would be assassins: Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme and Sara Jane Moore, in two separate incidences
Ronald Reagan - shot and wounded by John W. Hinkley, Jr *

*Since I am limiting my information to those who held national positions, I did not count the time Ronald Hogg's sister threw that un-ripe water melon at the sitting president of our He-Man Woman-Haters Club way back in 1951.

I am sure that the chief of the U. S. Secret Service is spending many sleepless nights. Fear cannot however be allowed to rule our lives. Obviously any serious candidate is accepting a risk. Some perhaps a greater risk than others. No individual, no president not even the lowly dog catcher can be made 100% safe. There are places, even in our small town (50,000 pop.), that I would not venture on a Saturday night.

I was in school when JFK and MLK were killed. That nearly ripped our nation apart. Such a thing as another assassination would be a national tragedy and might even precipitate our relatively quiet country into great civil unrest. Whom but our arch enemies would benefit from that?

No gentlemen, I would rather not think about it, however there are also many whakkos lurking in the shadows who do not want a woman as president as well. Finally, let me add this last ray of hope, the fact that our present and most unpopular president has survived in spite of an unpopular war and nearly 8 long years of transferring the national wealth to the coffers of OPEC sheiks and that of the U.S. oil companies, gives me great cause for hope if either Ms. Clinton or Mr. Obama are elected.

You lot have some amazing opportunities for enjoying those few remaining flyable WW2 aircraft. I agree that, whatever the cost, as they are fast disappearing, it may be more than worth it.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019