Quote:
Originally posted by Osram:

BTW, my father was in several occupied countries and was most impressed by the dutch. He said that while they off course could not stop the germans by themselves, there were less collaborateurs and the dutch kept more of their dignity than others.

But off course each country has its good and bad citizens, it is "just" a matter of how many and which side the state tries to help.

etc.

As my grandfather was betrayed by dutch collaborators (he was hiding jews) my family has always been less than impressed by the dutch attitude during the occupation. Indeed, the dutch both in absolute numbers and in percentage numbers delivered the highest numbers for the Waffen SS.

When I worked in germany (as a masseur in a 'kurort') I met many older germans and some of them would go 'Oh Holland, I love Holland, I was there during the war, we loved the food, we lived like kings!!!' then they would feel a bit embarrassed, feeling that their enthusiasm for the place and their fondness of the food might be a bit inappropriate given the circumstances

I also met a 'Spaetheimkehrer' who had been attached to the Wiking Waffen SS division who met many dutch SS volunteers. This was actually a very nice man, who actually liked the Russians more than the Americans. 'The Russian will share his last piece of bread with you' he would say. And he felt that as a people the Russians were much more cultured than the Americans. Go figure. War is a funny old thing.

Dolle Dolf