Folks, JRT,

Originally Posted By: Jolly Roger Two

T_K:

It is a delight to have another Canuck of any variety gracing these pages. I have heard NAAFI tea described as steaming hot water, browned off. Your recipe sounds much more appealing.

Well I can't speak of WWII era NAAFI tea which was subject to the rather severe rationing restrictions of the time as I wasn't even a twinkle in my parent's eye (I didn't come along until 12 years after the end of the war and that was partly due to the sub-standard quality control methods of the London Rubber Company ). The NAAFI tea that I endured was in the 69-73 period when rationing was but a distant nasty memory. This tea was so strong that it would stain a white mug brown in seconds and almost had to be chewed to get it to go down! It was ALWAYS served out of 2 gallon (Imperial measure of course ;\) ) stainless steel teapots with milk and sugar already added to the brew whether you wanted it or not!

There was a rumor that during the war the army laced NAAFI tea with bromide. That has never been substantiated as far as I know.

Ahh the old bromide rumour! This rumour was also prevalent in the above period too but it had migrated by that time to NAAFI custard! For some reason it was always a pale and pasty yellow colour and rather gelatinous in texture....just what the cooks did to it I have no idea but it was nothing like the deep yellow ambrosia my dear old Mum used to pour over her home-made plum duff!

Snip

Methinks you have a gift for writing my friend. Let me encourage you to honor us with a story of your own some time soon. Your description of the airfields of your youth was very nice indeed.

JRT, you are a man of unusual perception indeed for I was a professional writer for a number of years here in Canada before I was struck down with a debilitating illness that forced me to give up work and apply for a disability pension to survive. However, I was not able to employ much in the way of descriptive banter as I was a Technical Writer/Technical Illustrator writing and illustrating operator and maintenance manuals for million dollar machinery going into the big three auto plants. My writing style at that time was, by necessity, very brusque and to the point as people had to be able to follow my instructions to the letter if they were to avoid an expensive incident! Happily I can now allow my writing to become more eloquent and verbose and free of the dreaded bullets and numbered indents!

If you enjoyed my description of airfields of my youth you may well appreciate a tale I related over on the Shockwave forum a while back when our esteemed 'Osram' asked me to provide details of the 'scariest flight of my life'! The entire thread can be found at the link below and my tale is the third post in.....

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5722

Enjoy!

Larry
BDG (BoB Development Group) Member
A2A (formerly Shockwave) Beta-Tester