Folks,

Dux, MG:

Thank you both for sharing in our celebration. Responding E-mails received.

I flew a couple of missions this afternoon. First we attacked a number of 109s near Ramsgate and the battle was fierce indeed. We were in and out of cloud during which I completely lost sight of the Hun machines and I was able to follow them only by padlocking. Perhaps this is cheating however according to PV1 they could always "see" me so I think not.

Next I took the other side and flew for the Fuhrer. I have to say that I do prefer the Spitfire however the "Emile" has many things going for it not the least of which is the cannon. No lesser light than the great Tuck diligently lobbied for cannon to be placed in Spitfires. And of course they eventually were. Not during the BoB though.

Oddly enough Galland and other German aces did not like cannon in the wings as they felt the chain driven mechanisms were heavy and too prone to jam so they had them removed and opted instead for armament in the nose of the 109 only. Of course centrally mounted weapons also increased accuracy.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019