Folks,

Jens-Dux:

We must all be gluttons for punishment?

Every PC configuration is different. I've been dealing with the vagaries and irritating idiosyncrasies of living with a PC since the PC Junior was fostered upon an unsuspecting world back in the mid 80's.

You'd think that by now they'd have made PCs fool proof...and as Dux will cheerfully vouch for me, fool proof is what is required for the likes of moi. Bullet proof they certainly are not. My son and a friend just took an old PC out into the forest and filled it full of holes with a 9mm. The PC did not hold up well. Why? Actually I have my suspicions but I am not certain if that particular PC had been especially difficult or frustrating to operate lately. It wasn't mine. I saved the memory sticks from it.

Jens: Thanks for the tip regarding FCG. I will try that. It sounds promising. At this point I cannot get anything previously running under W98SE to run under XP except Janes WW2 Fighters and that runs well without classic/compatibility mode. MA runs but won't accept my USB joystick. BoB WOV locks up tight when I transition into 3D and the game. Doubtless if I do get WOV to run it will have to be dumbed down to run with only 64 MB ram on the vid card. Perhaps I will load the original BoB with the last BDG patch if all else fails...I must have BoB. wink

Our son is getting another computer soon so he has graciously given this one to me today. Now I have another, if not so virgin, box to work my wicked way with. I have not checked the intimate details yet but I know I have a 1.6 GHz P4, 1 GB ram, 2 large HDD and an (?)nVidia card in this machine. I have to be on the lookout for a vid card with 128 MB minimum and at the moment I haven't a clue as to what configuration is required or even possible. I'll get into all that later. Frankly I'm just tickled to be able to get here at all.

On the good news side, we are switching to cable broadband on Wednesday. We'll have our phone, TV and Internet all coming in through one pipe. This means that, like the rest of the HWH crowd, I can now download all those nifty patches and programs without too much grief from now on. If I get WOV to run that is. I had that old PC fine tuned and loaded with some great programs. I'm still chafing over the loss of all those irreplaceable little utility and graphics programs that made life delightfully easy for me.... but I'll get over it.

My plan is to have everything back to what passeth for normal around here...PC wise anyway... within a month. That is my stated goal. My secret unrealistic goal is to have it done ten minutes from now. Even immediate gratification is NOT fast enough for me.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019