Folks,

I flew a 'Historic' quick mission late this afternoon. The combat was easy, the hard part was landing right-side-up for a change. I have finally gotten used to the padlock again. Perhaps improvements like TrackIR have made the padlock view more or less obsolete in the new BoB2 WOV. The padlock view works for me. So there I was strapped into my old Spitfire 'Geronimo' at angels 10....

Here is what happened:

RAF Combat Report
Pilot : JRT
Sdrn.: 65
Sortie: CAP
Sortie Strength: 12 Hurricanes and 12 Spitfires
Date: Aug. 15.1940
Time: 16:00
Enemy encountered: 84
Type : Me109 and JU 87
Altitude:10,000 Ft.
Enemy Target: Hawkinge- Airfield

Total Results: 7 109s and 11 JU 87s shot down
Total RAF losses: 4 damaged, 4 destroyed, 4 pilots lost
Pilot's personal claim: (2) JU 87s and (1) 109

Comments:
Initial reaction by fighter control was slow. Two staffelin of JU87 arrived over Hawkinge with complete surprise and 2 more over Lympne with a massive force of 109s. Fortunately 2 sqd. of RAF fighters had been scrambled early to patrol over Dover. We were outnumbered but our boys were ready for them.

We spotted them at 2:00 high and began our attack at a disadvantage. Several 109s came down to make a pass as we climbed through them to get at the JU 87s. That was when we lost PO Smedley Pike. I came up from below and got right on the tail of one of the dive bombers. As his gull wings filled my sight ring, I pressed the firing button and fired.

My tracers converged on the dark bomber. I never saw any fire coming from the gunner before it lost a wing and plunged out of sight through cloud. Soon I was on the tail of another and as my .303s began to have their effect, it dove away and I followed. Soon I was able to put a really good burst into him and on the impact of those shells he just blew up. Again I never saw any tracers from the rear gunner. I must have neutralized him with my initial burst of fire.

As I emerged just below a layer of towering cloud, a 109 shot right past me and I followed him down. I took a squirt at him as he leveled off at 4,000 feet and he dove away again. I was on his six before he passed 3,000 feet and got in a quick burst that sent sparkles dancing along the wing and fuselage. Soon he was noticeably slower and smoking but he continued to coast downward.

I throttled back to keep from over shooting and remained on his six as we continued to lose altitude. At 1000 feet I noticed that he had lowered his landing gear. This could be a signal that he had surrendered or it might not be. I had seen this ploy several times and although it seemed bad form to do so I thought about PO Pike and put another 3 sec. burst into him. He rolled over and eventually struck the ground in a massive fireball. I saw no chute. As I passed over at about 500 feet I saw a dense cloud of black smoke rising from the flames.

I was very low on ammunition at this point and as I could not see any more enemy or friendly aircraft I made for home and landed successfully.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019