Folks,

It seems that most of us have survived the Independence Day festivities more or less unscathed. I barbecued a chicken entirely without the aid of the Lizard Lick Volunteer Fire Department, Rescue Squad and Barbershop Quartet. A gallant and brave group one and all and I hear that they were poised and hanging on the fire engine just waiting for my call.

The town fireworks display was by all accounts a success even without the flaming destruction of any motor vehicles this time. For our 2008 celebration the local Sheriff (an elected official) donated a huge load of confiscated liquor to the cause. The stuff was well over 100 proof. After passing a drop or two past their gums, one of the dum... more idio... braver deputies volunteered to hold the roman candle this year. He did not even bother to climb the water tower. He's OK. In fact he should be released from the Duke Burn Center in just a few days. They assured his worried wife that his eyebrows and most of his hair will grow back within 6 months.

I was not there to enjoy the spectacle however we could see the brilliant glow in the sky and hear the highway patrol and rescue squad sirens as they passed by on the highway. Plans are even now being drafted by the city council for an even bigger event next year. I'm no party pooper but frankly if the price of aviation gas continues to climb in the coming year I doubt that this ambitious plan will be affordable.....

Dux seems to have gone missing again. Perhaps he is holed up in some quiet corner, pen in one hand, pint in the other, scratching out yet another saga? I have given him several good story ideas recently. Unfortunately he has not taken the bait. Perhaps he is working on something? Or maybe not. We can only hope. ;\)

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019