Folks,

C51, Dux, MG:

Indeed the rumors of my demise were, at least to this present date, somewhat premature. My sincere thanks to you Dux for those e-mails that I finally managed to read this morning and to C51 for the phone call yesterday reminding me of my obligation to my friends here who for some unknown and undeserved reason seem to be greatly concerned with my welfare. I am ashamed that I needed to be reminded.

In my defense allow me to say that I have for the past 4 weeks been suffering, and not entirely in silence, from an unfortunate injury that cracked several ribs and caused some painful internal injuries and bruising. I am well on the mend now and I'm told that in another 3 months or so I should be as good as new. Naturally this was a complete disappointment to me as I had hoped that the agony I have suffered might provide at least a minor improvement over what was previously considered normal.

Alas I will not be able to play the guitar in the future but frankly I never could manage that even before my injury. To be honest, the guitar is but one of many instruments that I cannot play. C51, on the other hand, can play every musical and even a few non musical instruments known to man. I cannot even imagine such talent.

Speaking of talent, let me add my condolences regarding the recent death of Les Paul. He will be missed but his name and his genius live on.

Dux:

I do indeed remember that fateful night when those RN chappies almost ended my hopes of having children. I can only imagine that they were too bewildered by alcohol to notice that we did not wear the proper credentials of the submarine service on our uniforms. In fact, as I recall what we were wearing were stolen uniforms of the Royal Dutch Naval Catering Corps. Please allow me to thank you after all these years for your quick thinking that saved our necks and everything above and below that.

Hmmmmm. I also seem to remember that when most of us were scrambling out that bathroom window someone who favored you but whose true identity is unknown to me, slammed the window shut after he got out.

As it took two men to open that sticky window I had a devil of a time convincing that curious navy chap to help me open it. Becoming more and more skeptical regarding the HMS Spitfire he only agreed to do so when I promised him my father the admiral would give him a ride on our sub the following day. As I made my hasty retreat he waved and promised to bring a deck chair so that he could enjoy a crash dive from topside. I do hope he found the sub the next day and got that ride.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019