Folks,

No people hated or feared the Germans (there is a strong correlation there I suspect) than the French. Yet there were many French collaborators. In fact, there were collaborators in all the occupied countries.

Good grief, there were NAZI sympathizers in the US and Britain. Lord HawHaw and Axis Sally were two individuals who blatantly and actively worked for the Axis cause.

On balance, there was also an organized resistance in those occupied countries. Once liberating forces drew near, one of the first thing on the retribution menu for these folks was to gather up all those nasty collaborators who had so recently annoyed them and wreck a terrible vengeance upon them. As they say in horse racing circles, what goes around eventually comes around.

There was so much filth and nastiness stirred up in that horrible war that I suspect it was splattered on folks in just about every country one way or another.

I am quite prepared however to lay the blame for starting the two great wars squarely at the feet of Germany. While there may be blood stains visible on the hands of many from those warring generations, I myself see none upon the hands of those who have come after them.

The world is in our hands now and soon it will be passed on to our children. We must learn from the mistakes of our fathers and their fathers and pass that vital information on to our children. Otherwise we too will be spattered with the blood of those who will die in the next great war.

------------------
"Blessed are they who expect nothing.
For they will not be disappointed." - Edmund Qwenn, "The Trouble with Harry"