Folks,

Dux,MG:

Thanks for the help. Heck I can't even see the arrow. Must be my old browser. No matter, I just click on the date of the last post.

What a delight to have you both stop in for a pint. Alas I have not had the pleasure of seeing the 1960s program "The Likely Lads". I Googled it up and it sounds like a very good show.

It seems that the fascinating mystery of the doppleganger tattoos is finally solved to everyone's satisfaction, even mine. I did some research. You may not know this Dux. There was actually a program floating about Whitehall in late 1940 that might be of interest here. At least one chap with egg on his hat (Sir George Rottenbottom, Sr.) The senior Rottenbottom was firmly convinced it would be a very good idea to place a tattoo of a puckering Adolph on all Axis prisoners backsides.

Here is why. Knowing what was in store for them should they escape and eventually make it home again, when the Gestapo or SS got an eyeful of that especially lovely decoration it was believed this might well make any eager, would-be escapee have second and third thoughts. This idea was strongly considered in high circles for a time but was never put into practice mainly because so many new prisoners were found to already have tattoos in hidden places that actually were very similar....

If you check you archive Jens, I think you should find that story about Regretta Weemet. It is in there somewhere. I wrote it but can't remember the title. My memory fails me. Being regularly soaked in Alcohol, it seems, does not actually preserve our little gray cells after all.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019