Folks,

Dux:

These pages seem to be turning faster now, or is it my imagination? Thank you for your illuminating information. As there is no comparable association of idio...foo...wier...volunteers in the UK I am almost surprised by your familiarity with the CPBAIT organization. I say 'almost' because your knowledge of all things esoteric is becoming legendary.

I have been watching with pleasure a series on PBS titled "Warplanes". This week the main thrust was regarding air power and the rise of strategic bombing in WW2. The Norden bombsight was one of the topics covered in some depth. Two old timers strapped on a restored B-25 and made some low level bomb runs dropping practice bombs on California. I am not aware if California returned fire.

I have a relative who was a bombardier on a B-25. He was also a private pilot of great skill until being forced to hang up his goggles due to advancing age. I wish that I had taken the opportunity when we were flying around together to get some first hand info about the Norden. Alas he, like my wife's Uncle Bill have passed on now. We are swiftly losing our heroes.

Speaking of heroes, Bob Doe was interviewed regarding Spitfires in tonight's program. He is interviewed frequently it seems and each time I see him he has visibly aged more and more. Aging or not there is a distinct twinkle in his eyes as he speaks of how he fell in love at first sight with the first Spit that he ever saw.

Later on I chanced to Google 'Norden Bombsight' and here is the first page that popped up. Darned if it doesn't mention the boys and their practice bombing run for that show. Here is the URL:

http://www.twinbeech.com/norden_bombsight.htm

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019