Folks,

Dux:

Yup, she's a gas guzzler and at today's prices I'd be surprised to know that the remaining DC3s (and there are some) are getting into the air as often. It is amazing how Randy and Willie managed to get across the great circle route of the broad Atlantic with that thirsty bird. Perhaps with nothing on board but the crew and Olga's drawers, the rest of the cargo bay was crammed full of jerry cans filled with av gas? Being low on fuel when they crash landed probably saved their lives. No, the crash was easily survivable even if there had been a fire.....

However, if there had been a fire, and if Olga's new drawers had been singed or even slightly smoke damaged, she would have killed them both.

Some of my info comes from an old school chum who used to fly DC3s for the now defunct Piedmont Airlines. He was always interested in aviation even as a kid. His greatest desire was to become a pilot. When there was a grammar school play in which there happened to be two pilots he and I were chosen by the class to play those roles mostly due to our keen interest in aviation... OK, and the fact that his dad lent us an instrument panel from the local airfield's repair shop's scrap heap.

My friend's dad was an A-1 certified aircraft mechanic after the war. He worked at the local aerodrome servicing mostly single engined tail draggers such as Cubs and the odd twin engined craft. Piedmont Airlines was delivering mail there and it added passenger service in the early fifties.

At night, when I was growing up, my maternal grandfather and I used to sit on the front porch of his house across the river from the airport where he would regale me with exciting adventure stories, some of which had just a smidgen of truth in them just for flavor.

Looking to the North, we could always see the streak of light from the local airfield's search light as it revolved 360 degrees. That was the same field where I took pilot's instruction back in the 60s. It has been replaced now by the local high school's football stadium. The new, larger airfield, capable of receiving business jets has been built on the outskirts of the other side of town. It also has a revolving beacon but it just ain't the same. The place is functional but it has none of the excitement or nostalgia of the old field.

My friend's flying career was sadly cut short when a mis-placed hammer fell from the top of a ladder and struck him on the head. True story.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019