Gents,

Guess what. We've had rain and thunderstorms today.

In other news, the National Danish female football team apparently have reached the final in the European Cup by beating Austria in the penalty shootout competition following a gaol less match. I didn't watch as I'm not a big fan of football but well done to them. If they can win the final on Sunday it will be mayhem and celebrations in the tiny kingdom.

Speaking of kingdom, and bearing in mind the scientific evidence that drinking will prolong life, and considering Old Dux' brilliant observation regarding the landed gentry,perhaps including even members of the House of Lords and thereby close relations to royalty (This is becoming quite a desperate attempt by me to tie everything together in one unifying principle, I tell you);

Prince Consort Mark Philip is retiring from official duties. At the age of 94 I can't say I blame him, well done to keep at it as long as he has. Some English contacts I have suggest that perhaps he was metaphorically also raising his index and middle fingers in the internationally established gesture of,.... well you know, the rude salute.

Any thoughts on this Gentlemen, Dux??

I can empathise with male pride being kept under for just so long, before the ego rebels at being not even number two, but being nothing more than a Consort. A kept man.

Perhaps this is what is troubling our own Prince Consort; Henri de Laborde de Monpezat; Married to our queen, Margrethe II. He has officially retired from his duties some 18 months ago and it is thought that part of his reason for entering into retirement is that he finally gave up hope of ever being afforded a grander title, like King of Denmark and is bitter about it. The tabloids report that the couple are unofficially separated but of course being married to a royal, they cannot divorce without a major upheaval to the Danish Monarchy. This evening we learn, that he wishes to be buried, not beside his wife, but probably in his home country of France.

Such sad speculations make me happy to be a mere commoner. Yet I can't help thinking; it must be soul destroying for a proud man to be not even number two, and always walk in the shadow of your wife. Perhaps it is also a sign of a way of thinking, and defining yourself that is old-fashioned. Surely it must have been possible for such men to make themselves number one in some specific area, and shrug if off because after all, King, is what you name a dog.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop