Folks,
Dux:

As usual, you make a very good point.

Curtis LeMay's decision to fire bomb civilians brought the terror of war to Japan like never before.
The homes were mostly made of paper and wood. We can also mention the fire storms of Dresden and other German cities where the attempt was made by "Bomber" Harris to force the populace to rise up against their masters and end the war. As with the bombing of London by the Luftwaffe, thousands were killed and made homeless but I do not believe the demoralizing result was what was hoped for.

The 'Dam Busters' definitely did their best aided by that amazing bouncing bomb of theirs. The very
first computer game I ever purchased was titled "The Dam Busters" Monochrome early graphics to be sure but fun non the less. You could pilot, navigate, adjust those spot lamps to determine your altitude above the water, fire away at BF 109s or those pesky searchlights down below and best of all, bomb those dams. I still have that somewhere on a 5 1/4" inch floppy.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019