Folks, offtopic

Dux:

I suppose that by now you have returned triumphant from your birding tramp around Anglesey. Perhaps you changed your mind and carried your mask, spear gun, icepick and flippers? If so, you may have also returned damp, sneezing and coughing. Where are those promised incriminating photos?

It is spring in Carolina, according to the calendar. The warm and sunny has gone out of it for a few days. We have damp, cold and windy. Even so, it is about 20 degrees warmer here than up there where C51 struggles to light a fire.

The great computer crash of ought nine is still a painful memory. And although I am still grappling with that pesky browser hijacker I have begun to find and replace many of those tiny utilities that once made my life easier. Some I located on the web have not been upgraded and will not even run on XP, others have been upgraded and now have new features. A few are no longer freeware and have been replaced with something else.

Most of my commercial software was backed up on either the original disks or copied onto other CDs. I lost my ChessMaster program in the crash. Try as I will I cannot find where I stashed that original CD. It was an older V. 5 for Win 98 and might not even run under XP anyway. I must say that I liked it a lot. If it turns up I will see if it will run in compatible mode. Otherwise I will see about replacing it with the newest version. Let's see, by now that might be up to V. 25...

One of these days when my water-Bourne, saily thingy finally comes in, I will get a new video card for this box so that I can whip WOV into running.

From your description of the Fokker damage, I'd say it might be high summer before you get her into the air again. Keep me posted.

I have some smaller scale models and 3 very large stand-off scale flying models that remain at our former residence. I need to bring them here. There is a Sopwith Camel, a BF 109 E, and a F4U Corsair. The wing spans make it difficult to transport them by car much less get them into the house. At present I have no shop or storage facility here. I spent many happy hours building those and I'd really hate to lose them. I'll try to get some snaps when the rain stops. i also have a large scale Golden Hind and a Viking long boat still in their boxes.

C51 who wrote that he has just flown a few exciting BoB missions, managed to get a clip of his group "The Hot Toddies" playing a gig in Toronto placed on MySpace. The cell phone video was poor but the playing and singing was good. One day perhaps you might be able to do the same?

Here's a reminder:

On April 24th 2009 we'll celebrate the 8th anniversary of SNAFU's HWH. it is hard to believe that it was 8 long years ago that all this fun started. Thank you SNAFU wherever you may be.

Every year at this time I wonder out loud if we should continue this thread and every year somehow we have. Perhaps we can make it to 10? I dunno. Even I, who used to visit here each and every night for at least 7 years find it difficult... no, impossible to do that anymore.

One day, as with Puff the Magic Dragon, from the song by that name, Jackie Paper will, like the missing SNAFU, simply come no more. yep

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019