April 30, 1918

Pa,

Have you ever noticed Pa, how misfortune seems to dog certain people? Well, Quent seems to be one of those people. As you recollect, he went missing for a long spell and just yesterday we had to cart him off to the hospital because of Influenza. I imagine you've read in the paper about this sickness that seems to be striking everywhere, well it has really hit the boys over here hard. We've been very fortunate because Quent is our first case and I hope and pray that he will be our last. I've heard that certain parts of the front have really taken a beating and as usual the boys in the trenches have gotten the short end of the stick on this thing. Has anybody back home fallen ill with this Influenza? Don't worry about me, I'm doing everything I can to stay well. Our Medical Officer is a radical sort of fellow and he has suggested that everyone make it a habit of washing our hands as often as we can. I don't see how keeping my hands clean will keep me healthy, but supposedly he is the expert on such matters.

Yesterday was a real special day for me since I scored my 50th victory. The boys threw me a celebration and we had a real shindig with singing and everything. I don't know how the fellers manage such things but they are experts at rounding up whatever they need to have a celebration. Now before you go and think I'm some kind of extra special pilot since I have so many victories, let me explain something to you. Most of the Huns that I've met have as much mettle and grit as any man you would happen to meet. They also seem to enjoy a good dust-up and very seldom miss an opportunity to start or join in one. What I've learned though, is once they are in a scrap they have no stomach to stick it out to end of that scrap. So, if a feller is patient it won't be long before the Hun tucks and runs for home and that's when you get him. I imagine that doesn't sound like something a gentleman would do, but Pa you know as well as I do that war is no place for gentlemen. Anyway, I would imagine a good number of my victories were scored because the Hun tried to cut and run. I did manage to get a photograph for your collection and I've included it with my letter. Give my regards to the rest of the family and I'll write again next week.

Your loving son,

Abner

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC