As has been noted many times, WOFF is much more dangerous to our virtual pilots than the Great War in the air was to the real pilots. Combat takes place much more often than it did in real life, which explains the horrible casualties our virtual squadrons regularly suffer. I suspect most people would complain of not seeing enough action if the combat encounters happened as rarely as they did in real life, especially in the early years of the air war, so for commercial reasons we have lots of action going on.

Being a pilot or an observer in WW1 was probably one of the safest and most comfortable ways to spend the years of that bloody conflict and still participate in the fighting (of course having a nice desk job in some HQ chateau behind the lines was even safer). There were some more dangerous periods, like Bloody April, when some squadrons suffered abnormally high casualties, but generally speaking it was nothing like what the infantrymen had to endure in the trenches. Most pilots and observers survived the war more or less unscathed, at least physically.

In WOFF, don't be afraid to flee the battle! If the sim throws too many enemies against you, run away to fight another day. You don't have to fight every battle to the last man and bullet. That's the key to surviving longer periods of time in WOFF. smile

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps