The two remaining pilots in MFFA 2 were ordered to bomb a railyard at La Gorgue today. That sounded like yet another suicide mission, but at least they were promised Eindecker escorts from Sonderkommando Sachsenberg!

The mission went fine at first, until we were supposed to meet the Eindeckers. After spending many minutes looking for them, we finally gave up and headed towards the front - as usual, the Eindeckers failed us. When they bother to join us, they usually run away at the first sight of trouble. Well, this time they didn't bother to join us! Bloody cowards!

We tried to reach the target, but close to the front we encountered a couple of British DH.2s. Discretion is the better part of valour, so I aborted the mission and led my wingman back towards our field at Nieuwmunster. However, one of the DH.2s managed to overtake us and proceeded to attack my wingman. A furious firefight developed, with the Aviatik getting badly hit by the DH.2 and the British fighter taking many hits from the Parabellums of our observers. Finally the crazy Englishman had had enough and he turned away, trailing a thick cloud of smoke behind him. I hope he crashed!

My wingman was too badly hit and had to land before we reached Nieuwmunster. I made a successful landing and then discovered that both pilot and observer of the other Aviatik had been killed in the crash. We didn't get any credit for the encounter, so maybe the DH.2 survived.

MFFA 2 is now out of action until August 16, when replacement pilots and observers will arrive.

Vizeflugmeister Niemann and his observer are tempted to take a full load of bombs and go drop them on the idiots of SK Sachsenberg. It must be the most useless fighter formation in the whole German air force!

My badly shot wingman on the left and the DH.2 on the right, aborting his attack thanks to heavy fire from our observers.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps