Friday 12th January.

"I can't taste this egg," complained Sgt Kelly. "It's too cold."
B flight were waiting for Captain Nash to complete his briefing and tell them where they were bombing. The flight knew it was a bomb run because the air mechanics were busy fussing over the bomb racks attached to their machines even now.

"OK Chaps," Nash spread a map on the mess table in front of the sleepy headed aircrews. "This morning we are going to hit Riencourt aerodrome. We will take off, and after forming up and climbing over the river, we will follow this course over Bapaume." He traced the route with his finger. Captain Clarke slurped from his tea. "A fifty-five degree heading should put us in a good position to hit the hangars along the northern edge of the field. Then we turn around and get back here as soon as possible. All clear?" There was a series of nods, grunts and murmurs that suggested agreement. "Wake-up, chaps. Get yourself sorted, I want us warming engines up in 15 minutes."

Briefing concluded, Captain Nash grabbed a boiled egg for himself and popped it in his mouth in one go. "Mmph" he said and handed a prepared flight map to his pilot, Pennant.

The flight of BE2s was over Bapaume, climbing as they headed east when West caught movement above them in the murk. Craning his neck he saw dark shapes plummet behind them as Albatros scouts dived to the attack. One was gunning for West, so he wrenched his sluggish aeroplane over to the left and into a steep dive. He saw an aerodrome below and made for it, occasionally whirling around to throw off pursuit. A few times, bullets slashed fabric and timber groaned under the strain of his manouvers. Clarke the observer alternated between gripping his gun and gripping the cockpit, all the time shouting soundlessly across the engine noise. As they reached the aerodrome at less than a thousand feet, puffs of white smoke highlighted the German machine and tracer flecked the sky around it.

This was West's survival plan and he skirted the airfield, trying to remain on the opposite side of it from the Albatros. The enemy pilot got the idea that this wasn't his fight and turned away. West stayed over the aerodrome as he climbed, looking for danger.

After climbing to a sensible altitude again, West decided to continue to Riencourt. It was his duty after all. As he approached the target, West spotted another Quirk about a thousand feet above him. As he got closer, he saw that it was Pennant and Nash, with the leaders' ribbon on the tail. West joined his flight leader and made the bombing run. For the first time in his career, West hit his target. This was a large hangar at the western edge of the field. Along the flight line, West saw the spade shaped tails of what he decided were Albatros scouts. The thought of inconveniencing them satisfied West immensely.

On landing, Clarke thumped West on the flying helmet.
"Ow! What was that for!"
"You're a bloody menace!" The observer was red-faced with fury. "You nearly got us killed! Who taught you to fly like that?"
"I saved our lives you mean" Cadogan countered. "You can't fight Albatri on the level in a Quirk. You have to do something special."

There was a change to Chipilly aerodrome. It was looking a lot busier. Lorries and men were arriving and distinctly sleek looking aeroplanes were clustered around the far hangar.

As Clarke went to file his report, and no doubt report West, Captain Hunt approached Cadogan with a Major, from the direction of the bustling activity. "Sergeant West!"
West saluted. "Yes sir?"
"May I introduce Major Wagner. Major, this is Sergeant West."
"Sir."
"Sergeant."
"Are you the new CO?"
The Major smiled. "I'm your new CO sergeant. Did you file a request to transfer to 54 squadron a week or so ago?"
"Yes sir. I understand that that was with Major Parker, and his death has probably delayed matters. Sir."
"Well, I am the CO of 54 Squadron. By chance it seems, we have transferred to you. Haha, or rather Chipilly. Your transfer was approved this morning. Go and help with the unpacking would you? Should be a good way to introduce yourself. After that, I'll have one of the flight leaders induct you into the mysteries of the rotary engine."

Chipilly is getting rather crowded. In January 1917 we have two Caudron Escadrilles (21 and 46), 24 Squadron still in DH2s, the BE2es of 52 squadron and now the Pups of 54!

Not a HA, Major Benjamin Wagner may not have been CO of 54 in January, but he definitely was in late April, so I've let him be so now, unless anyone knows any better.

Edit. I have flown a patrol with the Pups today. The Pup is a joy to fly after so long on 2 seaters, but there was nothing to see among the clouds, so it isn't a good story.

Last edited by Maeran; 01/13/15 11:57 PM.