Off. Carlton von Fisk
July 24-26, 1916

July 24
In our most successful mission to date, a Leutnant Heinrich Geigl (HA) and I went to recon the front lines in a pouring rain. We reached the front safely and performed several lazy circles around Allied troops. Two E.IIIs, who actually kept their rendevous this time, followed from a distance.

This, of course, woke up the local squadron of Nieuports. I'm proud to say I saw it even before my flight leader did. I ran like a little uhm... Hun pilot.

There were four of them, and in a surprising show of sportsmanship they split up one per German, so one of them went after Geigl, two chased the Eindeckers, and one pursued me.

I had the distance advantage, but still he slowly gained. Like normal for me now I hit the deck and on he game. I flew as low as I dared, turning back every few seconds to see how much ground he gained. 1.7 miles ... 1.2 miles... 2000 yards.... 1700 yards...

About two miles from Spincourt, with the Nieuport still 1200 yards back, he gave up and I landed without trouble.

Geigl crash landed, killing his observer. Thanks to his HA armor he bounced on impact, flew 1000 yards in the air, then landed on his chair in the mess hall without missing a beat.

Losses: Entente 0. Germany 1 plane, 1 observer

July 25:

Today I led a mission of three to go artillery spotting. We were at about 4000 feet over Mercy de Haut aerodrome when I noticed two planes coming towards us.

I'm kinda tired of running. I ordered the attack: 3 Rolands versus 2 Nieuport 11s.

My initial barrage missed, so as seems to be standard procedure lately he ended up at about my 7:00, trying to shoot me while my observer fired wildly at him. My observer couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. The Frog tore into me pretty good, and the sound of crunching wood and tearing fabric convinced me to run.

He couldn't (or didn't try) to keep up with my full power nose dive. I was worried for my wings, but they held and I flattened out at about 160 mph and 1000 feet. He stayed close though.

I passed right over the aerodrome hoping their gunners would convince him to go away. They nearly answered for me instead: The thumping of their guns shook the air and forced me into a near stall as I tried to turn on him. In fact, I touched earth with my engine still at full throttle. I took that as a sign from God that today wasn't my day and completed my landing at the aerodrome.

Losses: None

July 26:


Today it was once more Leutnant invincible and myself reconning over the front lines. It was a beautiful day, which I thought would at least give us the advantage of seeing any Nieuports coming.

Well, we made it to the front without incident and once more began antagonizing the Allies by flying over their troops. After a few spins Geigl turned for home.

I followed, but looked over my shoulder to see if there was a reason we were leaving. I think it may have been too far out for the AI to see (no labels had gone off for one thing), but I saw the four dots. Biplanes, heading right for us.

I broke formation, since right now Geigl seemed to be idling for some reason, and floored it. He headed for Spincourt. I thought about it, but carried on to Brullin Higny, our home aerodrome.

Unfortunately, the problem with Brullin Higny is it's surrounded by forest. This defeats my preferred landing pattern of just coasting in and touching down whereever so long as I stop before I leave the airport.

My first approach was far too steep and hot. I turned around, and my second approach....wasn't much better. Hit the ground, bounced up, threw the nose down..then back up before my propellor hit. Skidding, swerving on the rudder because I was cruising right towards the tree line. Missed a pine by oh...five feet.

But still alive. Which is more than I can say for anyone else. Geigl once more crashed his plane and lost his observer. 'A' flight went missing.

Losses: French 0. Germans: 4 planes, 4 observers, 3 pilots

At the end of the day Jasta 36b was left with two pilots and one observer, which makes more flights out of the question. Fortunately on the 27th one pilot returned from captivity, and two pilots as well as another observer reported for duty.