October 21, 1917

Pa,

Yesterday was a blue ribbon type of day, I was leading three of the boys on a line patrol we when happened upon a flight of Hun two-seaters called Rumplers. Normally, when I tussle with two-seaters I always end up with the short end of the stick, but yesterday was different. You see Pa, two-seaters are a lot like porcupines, if you aren't careful they will stick you something fierce. It's best to sneak up on them from below, but just like porcupines they are wise to your tricks and it ain't easy. Anyway, I snuck up on one feller and I was able to give him a good bellyful of lead after which he commences to belching black smoke, right then Pa I knew I had him. I gave him one more burst and the feller just sort of exploded.

I was so excited I could hardly stand it, I haven't had a victory over a two-seater since July 6th. We carried on with our patrol and soon returned to base. Well wouldn't you know it Pa, but those pencil pushing bean counters didn't confirm my victory. How could it not be confirmed, I was surrounded by my buds and everybody said they saw it. To make matters worse, I went out on a solo hunting trip this morning and I came upon another group of two-seaters. I should've known better but I was certainly feeling my oats after yesterday's action. I tell you what Pa, I hadn't even begun sneaking up on those fellers before one of them had winged me in the arm. Dadgummit, I had to dive away and return to our airfield right quick. It's just a flesh wound but Capt. Thenault will make me sit out until November 1st. Oh well, thats what I get for being so muleheaded. Will write again soon, give my love and regards to the family.

Your loving son,

Abner

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC